Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sweet Mailday Johnny Oates style!

Found the website http://www.sportlots.com/ and really raked in the goodies for Johnny Oates. Where do the two connect? Johnny Oates as many of you know was probably one of the most well respected baseball minds of our generation. Sadly, he lost his battle with a brain tumor some years back. He played for some of the really storied franchises in the game (Yankees, Braves, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers). He managed the Orioles and Rangers before he passed. He was actually from my hometown area of Petersburg, VA and went to Virginia Tech (just like me!). His family and my family have remained close after all these years and lets just say his hiring in late 1991 was a crucial reason (and Cal Ripken) that I became an Orioles fan. Sportlots has given me a great chance to catch up on my Oates personal collection as he has 81 cards according to beckett and I now have 22. Who knew a role player backup catcher could have 81 cards including a 1/1???? I am also working on a project for our yearly memorial golf tournament and memorabilia auction as well. The auction and tourney raises money for his charity for pallitive care. So, if you have any Johnny Oates cards in those monster boxes, I would be glad to take them off your hands as I am trying to do a neat couple of pieces to donate to the auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment